Virus Season

Testing available for

Flu | RSV | COVID-19 | Strep

Select a Location to Get Started

Poisoning: A Leading Cause of Unintentional Injuries.

Did you know that unintentional injuries are the fifth leading cause of death in the United States today? Car crashes, drownings, and house fires are just a few examples of unforeseen accidents that could have been avoided had those involved been aware of the safety hazards around them and cautionary with their own actions. What seems to be the most surprising is that one of the top places for an unintentional injury to occur is inside the home. Do you know what it could be from?

Every year, poison control centers receive about 2.2 million calls seeking help for poisoning that occurred while the person was in their home. In many cases, the individual was unintentionally poisoned after ingesting drugs or chemicals found in their own house. Cleaning products, personal care products, prescription drugs and over-the-counter medications are all familiar substances found in most homes, yet can be a major risk for unintentional poisoning if they are not stored in safe places and handled with care while in use.

The National Safety Council suggests taking these precautionary steps to ensure that medicines are put away safely in the home:

  • Make sure the safety cap is locked, listen for the click.

  • Ask visitors to lock and put away suitcases or purses containing medications.

  • Program the poison control number, (800) 222-1222, in your home and cell phones.

  • Safely dispose of leftover and unwanted medications.

For information on poisons and toxins, contact your local Any Lab Test Now®. We offer a wide range of lab testing services including our Unknown Poisons and Toxins Analysis that can test for over 600 different chemicals, poisons and toxic substances like pesticides, painting and cleaning products as well as hygiene-type products. Call us today and let us help you take action towards a safe and healthy you.

Is Your Home Safe For Your Children?

If you are a parent of young children you probably cheered on your little one when he first stood up on his own and took that first step.  Your baby, now officially a toddler, is on the way to many adventures.  Let’s hope that one of them isn’t exploring your medicine cabinet, your household cleaning supplies, or peeking under the bathroom rug to find that pill you dropped and forgot about.  Most parents are likely to have installed cabinet locks of some sort to try to prevent their children from getting to medications or cleaning fluids, but accidents happen.  According to PoisonPrevention.org, over 2 million poisonings are reported across the country, the majority of them to children under the age of six.  Just having cabinet locks, child proof tops on your prescription and aspirin bottles, and moving poisonous substances to a higher shelf isn’t always enough.  Children at this age are inquisitive and will try to get to something that looks or smells interesting.

PoisonPrevention.org has named the third week in March every year Poison Prevention Week to bring awareness to poisonings in the home.  One of the mottos of their campaign is “Children Act Fast…So Do Poisons!”  Although most poisoning victims are children, adults can be poisoned, too.  Not reading the label and looking at your medication every time, taking your medication in the dark or mixing medications with alcohol can be deadly.

If you suspect that you or your child has taken the wrong medication, too much of it, or in the child’s case ingested anything that they weren’t supposed to, the first step is to call the National Poison Hotline at 1-800-222-1222.  This new national toll-free number is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week and will connect you with one of the 64 regional poison control centers that are prepared to answer questions on actions to be taken if a poison has been ingested.  Not all chemicals or medications are poisonous or will cause an immediate reaction but these centers can tell you what is poisonous and what to do.

Some chemicals, medications, or minerals take a long time to cause a reaction or a problem.  One of the most well-known of these is lead.  Children are frequently exposed to lead without a parent realizing it.  Many parents know that lead paint is dangerous and exposure can cause serious problems for children, but lead may also be present in the paint on antique toys, toys made overseas or in old, painted metal play equipment.  Over time, exposure to lead can interfere with development of the nervous system, causing potentially permanent learning and behavior disorders in children.  Symptoms may include abdominal pain, confusion, headache, and anemia and in severe cases seizures, coma and death.  There is no safe level of lead exposure!  Blood tests, such as those offered by ANY LAB TEST NOW® can determine if you or your child has been exposed to heavy metals, including lead.  Contact your nearest ANY LAB TEST NOW® location to find out more about the right test to answer your questions and concerns.

We all intend to be good parents and to protect our children, but forgetting to put your medication away one time might be enough for your toddler to get to the bottle.  Poison Prevention Week is an excellent time to check your house for missing locks, hazardous substances not put away and to review where you keep things and the steps you take to protect your child. It’s worth taking a little extra time to prevent a tragic poisoning.  Don’t you agree?

Written by www.anylabtestblog.com